Shadan Mine (Copper-Gold), South Khorasan
The Shadan porphyry gold-copper project, is situated approximately 65 km… southwest of Birjand in South Khorasan, one of the best gold-copper porphyry sources in Eastern Iran. The mine is located to the east edge of Lut block. The Shadan Gold-Copper deposits are hosted by calc-alkaline and Alkaline intrusions. Accordingly, The Shadan mine is expected to become the biggest cooper mine after Orumieh-Dokhtar magmatic belt in Iran.
Mineralization in Shadan area
Shadan has the potential to grow our production and increase our reserves well beyond 2025.
Mineralization within Shadan mines operations is a typical of volcanic rock hosted vein systems. Most of the ores enriched in copper, gold, molybdenum, and a little lead and antimony. These minerals have been derived from porphyry copper deposits since 2003. Economies of scale and advances in technology have made it possible to profitably mine these deposits despite their relatively low ore grades. The mine expected to create 1500 jobs during operations. Shadan is an important part of our overall plan.
The most prominent feature of the outcrops at Shadan is a series of quartz-carbonate veins ranging to more than 500 m long and 50 m wide (based on prospect mapping) which have weathered to prominent dark brown siliceous ridges. These are mineralized primarily with gold and minor copper. Stockwork and sheeted quartz veins are also very extensively developed in potassic altered volcanics and intrusive rocks with secondary biotite and/or K-feldspar.
Porphyry copper deposits:
- About 12 hectares is a porphyry style of deposits occurred within and/or along the edges of veins cutting the rocks and disseminated through the rocks.
- Vein deposits:
This type of mineralization is formed after the porphyry system and is generally seen along the fractures. In most areas of the mine, the thickness of the veins is up to 20 meters and their length is more than 500 meters. In addition, this Vein-type mineralization are along the porphyry mineralization, which has a high mineral potential.
- placer-type mineralization:
This type of mineralization due to erosion and destruction phase of mineralization of the upper hand of the mineral range.
- Map 1: 25000 Geology: This map is based on preliminary geological studies using Landsat-ETM and TERRA-ASTER satellite imagery and field observations.
- Geochemical studies of waterways: after separation of geologically susceptible areas on a topographic map of 1: 50000 and determining the scope of work.
- Map 1: 10000 regional alterations: This map is based on field studies and interpretation of satellite data at a scale of 1: 10,000.
- Geological map with scale of 1: 5000: This map is based on the appropriate topographic data and is based on the processing of ASTER satellite data in an area of 5.8 km2.
- Lithogeochemical sampling: Regular sampling was conducted in a 100 × 100-meter network in 360 samples and in a 30 × 30 meter network of 115 samples, by Rio Tinto Co. The result of these studies is the introduction of 4 anomalies named A to D respectively.
- Magnetometry: At an area of about 3.5 square kilometers, for 547 stations and in a 70 × 70 meter network is performed.
- Geo-electric IP-RS: 2255 stations have been selected and harvested on 14 profiles in accordance with the trenches.
- Dredging of exploratory trenches: A total of 14 trenches, perpendicular to geological complications, have been designed and built along the geophysical sections with a general trend of north-east to southwest and 663 samples have been taken.
- Geological map with a scale of 1: 1000: This map is made up of about 300 hectares with a direct land plot with the aim of the mineral zone, alterations and detailed mineralogical studies.
- Topographic map with a scale of 1: 1000: This map is based on the transfer of geodetic points in an area of about 300 hectares.
- Designing a Drilling Network: A 100×100 m drilling grid has been designed based on previous studies, and then 50×50 m network design has been performed on all anomalies.
- Core drilling: 21500 m drilling in 92 borehole loops and producing cores.
- Harvest 35 samples of alterations to study mineralogy changes of rocks.
- Modeling and estimating of Shadan Porphyry deposit: Using modeling data, reservoir estimation for gold and copper in Shadan copper-gold deposit is carried out.
- Extracting process design and determination of cut off and optimum mine pit.
- Performing processing studies on Shadan Copper Ores, parallel to three national and international companies.
- Technical and economic study for the design of the factory and equipment specifications.
- The construction of a semi-industrial Pilot plant for the extraction of gold from Placer deposit